Tuesday 3 April 2012

Oral Presentation Reflections


Hello everyone, here’s my evaluation of my own oral presentation. I’ll start by assessing my preparation, then move on to my delivery.

This was arguably the presentation which I prepared the longest for in my entire life. The slides alone took me more than 12 hours of work purely on Microsoft Powerpoint. This was due to multiple significant alterations in the solutions. However unfortunate this may sound, I was glad to continuously refine my understanding of the project throughout the toiling. In doing so, I had effectively internalised what I was going to present. The creativity I employed into creating the slides also increased rather drastically, because of the exposure to effective forms of visual aids and different means of captivating an audience which I learnt through ES2007S. From the start, I consciously avoided having a large number of words on each slide and constantly sought visual means to illustrate our solutions.  

As for delivery, I find that I managed to speak clearly and fluently, and time my slide transition very appropriately, in-sync with my speech. The slides therefore complimented what I spoke on well. The success of my delivery this time was largely due to the tedious preparation. If I did not cut down on the number of slides, I would have rushed through the presentation and as a result, not convey the solutions across clearly. Nevertheless, there is a limit to how much one’s preparation can aid a successful execution. Just as the Mongols eventually walked through the gates of the Great Wall despite decades of construction and the thousands of builders’ lives lost, all of one’s preparation can come to nought if he falls at a hurdle during the presentation. For me, one of these hurdles would be disinterest from anyone among the audience. This could potentially unnerve me, and indeed there were a couple of these moments during my presentation. Lastly, as for what I could have improved on, they are the clarity of the maps of the engineering faculty in the slides, and my distribution of eye-contact to the members of the audience; I tended to give it only to the half nearer to me.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jerick,

    I applaud your 12 hour effort in preparing the powerpoint slides, I don’t think I ever spent 12 hours solely preparing for the slides. I agree with you that continuous improvement while working on something does lead to better results. Also, I hope you found the work challenging and intriguing as well.

    I agree with you that your speech and the slides were quite in sync and I feel the tone which you adopted for the presentation was quite easy to listen to and to follow.

    Overall, I think the presentation was quite well done with good cost benefit analysis but the maps shown could use some further revision and allow more time for the audience to process the maps.

    Zhi Qin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerick,

    Congratulations on your great OP! I think your group did really well in terms of both content and delivery. It was really organised and everyone seemed prepared and relaxed. Yours slides were really simple and easy to understand too. In addition, I think that your maps were creative and interesting. Some of them were slightly unclear (in terms of colours). Nevertheless, it was a commendable effort and I liked them! So kudos to your effort on the slides! =)

    For your delivery, I think you were really confident. I liked your relaxed style of presenting. It was also clearly evident that you had internalised your content really well. I thought that you kept good eye contact (atleast on my side). Plus, there was no use of fillers or any stumbling etc. So in terms of improvement, I think only the slides need some work. Other than that, it was a great presentation! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's so encouraging to hear! You did well yourself too =)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jerick,

    Good job on your presentation. I think you did well in delivering your content. I can relate and understand clearly what you are trying to tell me. I liked your calm and composed tone in delivery. Also, I liked the way you engaged us with your smiles. Furthermore, I am really impressed with your usage of words during your presentation. There is no more slangs and singlish in it (as compared to your previous presentation). I think this is your greatest improvement. I am very happy for you.

    As for your slides, I think that you had a good use of them (especially the one about "lights off" to show the amount of savings made if your proposal were implemented).

    Lastly, a point of improvement would be your style of presenting. Although I enjoyed your relaxed style of presenting, I think at times it might be a little too informal and might be seen as not professional. Perhaps, you can alter your style to suit the different purpose of your future presentation. In this way, you will definitely be even better. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yiqun,

    thanks for your encouragement! I have also taken note of your suggestion for improvement. By the way, your presentation skills are solid too. Your voice projection is strong and your speech is clear. Your attitude was also very positive and cordial. Well done too!

    I remember that in class, you said that you memorise an outline of your presentation. I just want to affirm you that it is not always a crutch. Depending on how you use it, it can be helpful too. I think you used it more to your advantage than disadvantage that day, as I did not really notice you fumbling.

    Jerick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jerick,

    I thought that was a great presentation that your group gave us.

    Again as I told Priscilla, "Preperation, if not the key to being a genius, is definitely the key to sounding like a genius". Really appreciate your 12 hours on the presentation slides. And I think it is very positive to see your improvement curve after our paired presentation. And, I can still remember how you quantified your findings with compelling numbers!

    There were some places where the slides could have been better and given us time for us to grasp the map. And as Brad pointed out, eye contact. Otherwise it was a great presentation!

    Warm regards,
    EB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jerick,

    You cut down a lot on the Singlish, and you spoke naturally, though I felt the language could still be even more formal. The time spent preparing had paid off well for you, as I did not remember you stumbling at all. However sometimes I got a bit lost with what you were saying, as you jumped around the slides a bit and pointed to things here and there. I did not get the step 1, step 2 part, perhaps you could have explained it better. You could also improve on your eye contact, as I did not feel the connection. Finally, the pictures of the publicity email blast and posters were borrowed from other sources, so it kind of felt irrelevant. Similarly (I am not sure if it was on your slides), there were some random clipart scattered around that I felt were quite distracting. Overall, the slides could be more polished. I sound overly critical, but I am just nitpicking basically. A good job well done!

    Bokai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok thanks =) I will take note of your feedback. I was indeed going rather quickly through the slides. I would explain my slides better in future, especially if they are as complicated the map I showed that day! I also agree that the slides could have looked more neat. I wanted to refine them but could not due to lack of time.

      Thanks again,
      Jerick

      Delete